Instant Ramen Noodles

 

From humble post-war beginnings, instant ramen has become a global comfort food phenomenon. Invented by Momofuku Ando in 1958, instant ramen's success lies in its simplicity, affordability, and versatility. The basic preparation is quick and easy, but endless customization options allow for culinary creativity. Regional specialties and diverse dietary choices cater to a wide range of preferences.

Instant ramen's impact extends beyond taste. It's a cultural touchstone featured in movies, anime, and even museums. For many, it evokes memories and signifies convenience and affordability. As instant ramen continues to evolve, we can expect even more innovation in flavors, formats, and sustainability. One thing is certain: instant ramen's journey is far from over, and its delicious, convenient, and adaptable nature will continue to win hearts (and stomachs) around the world.

This iconic Japanese Ramen never fails to deliver; since I arrived in the USA from the Philippines at the age of 12, these instant noodles have been a constant companion, aiding my family and me in adapting to American society and thriving. Even now, we continue to rely on them. It wasn't until my late teens that I discovered a traditional Japanese Ramen restaurant. Surprisingly, it closely resembled the mini-stall restaurants back in the Philippines where we enjoyed our favorite school break food, known as Miki. Located just behind an old church in Ilocos Norte, my hometown, Miki shares similarities with Japanese Ramen, though we enjoy it without chopsticks. We also make the Udon-like noodles at home and make our own Miki; mainly, it's about the noodles and the thick soup, not the garnish. We do add Soy Sauce and Pickled Chilis into the bowl to suit how sour, hot, and salty we want it.

The fried version caught me off guard, unaware of its connection to Miki, the homemade version of the powdered noodles cut with scissors. Coming from a modest background, we used scissors to create long, thick strings—no fancy machines, but my grandparents or the young ladies from the neighbors were patient and will love its reward - unlike those seen in many YouTube videos featuring Ramen and Udon restaurants where they used machines, and still takes labor of patients.

Watching these videos is a calming experience for me, especially as I scribble in my notebooks. There's a comforting harmony in the sounds of Japanese noodles cooking. Although I'm still deciphering their language, it seems like a rhythmic dialogue about the menu, possibly indicating table numbers and the type of food ready. This intriguing tradition appears to be a seamless way to maintain the flow in most of these restaurants.

Occasionally, when I want to get creative but simple, green onions make a fantastic garnish. A lot more interesting when inspired by the vibrant assortment found in Vietnamese Pho—sprouts, mint, basil, cilantro, rice paddy herb, lime, and sliced chile. It adds a refreshing and flavorful touch to the dish.

Today, I'm aiming for a more traditional flavor in my Instant Noodles Ramen, but with less sodium. I'll be using only half of the Ramen Flavor Packets to achieve that perfect balance.

I am not making Miso soup with green onions, tofu, and seaweed, but adding a bit of this Miso paste will give it that traditional vibe of authentic ramen, except using fried Ramen noodles.

With the sliced fish cake, the broth is boiling with flavors; if I were to use Udon noodles, I would make broth out of chicken feet, pork bones, pork feet, and dry mushrooms with dry shrimp. I have yet to use Tempura shrimp or veggies, but I do not have much time or the patience to share the kitchen. I could use the backyard kitchen alone for as long as I want, but I'll do that next time; it's winter right now and too cold for a tropical person. Cold in general. I only do the easy food, mostly Filipino recipes I post on Facebook routinely, although it's fun, especially messing with Moblie Editing Apps like VSCO. It's been taking much of my budget and time as a security guard; I want to put more time into writing to make my writing skills masculine, as some well-known authors say. Not how to type fast, but to write creatively. Well, I need to master that too - how to type like a machine gun.

Just a regular brown egg or any class of egg for these instant noodles. If you are to cook the traditional Ramen by marinating eggs with Mirin, Vinegar, and Soy Sauce, the night will take too long for these instant noodles; you might as well go to the restaurant. Additionally, I recommend the higher-grade eggs for the Ramen eggs so you can peel the shell much more manageable.

I still want that Ramen eggs flavor, and adding a bit of Mirin with water to cook a sunny side up is close enough from a separate pan. There is no need to marinate the egg overnight. The egg tastes good.

I use this kind of Mirin the rest after the egg is done; why not add the dried seaweed - this is different than the type of Ramen seaweed that is thicker but close enough.


Main Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marijuana

PESTILENT (done)

AI Tools for Writing - September 2, 2023